Monday, July 8, 2013

Practicing for the DJI Innovation Zenmuse

July 4th, time for everyone to take off work, spend time with family, and celebrate.  A few weeks back, I pre-ordered the DJI Innovations Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal for the Phantom.  I was hoping to be able to shoot some of the festivities on the 4th.  Well, to my dismay, I found out I am in the second or third shipment on Monday, so the fourth was definitely out.  Oh well, better luck next time.  I decided that I was going to shoot all the same and learn as much as I could, even though some of the shots may not be up to my own standards.

So I headed down to the Freedom Festival hot air balloon launch early morning on the fourth.  I took every bit of equipment that I could carry.  Alas, no launch today.  Turns out launching balloons in potentially wet, windy and lighting is probably not a good idea.  So I had 3 fully charged Phantom Batteries and no place to shoot.

So I decided to go and practice shooting some of the other shots that I have been waiting for the gimbal to shoot.  To the temple!!  It was almost midday by now, and the sun was getting pretty hot, not necessarily a bad time to shoot with the GoPro.  I have found that if you are angling the shot down and the sun is directly above, you can usually avoid the lens flare and reflections of light that get in the way. Wasn't quite directly above so I did catch quite a bit of light in the lens.



So the shot challenge that I was looking to accomplish is to fly toward the temple at ground level, and as I approach the building, fly up the building, and get up to Moroni (the guy at the top of most Mormon temples) and then circle around and back down.  Check out the video to see how I did.

Then, that night, we went down to the Freedom Festival fireworks. This time I tried out the new 5D Mark III Raw Video capabilities using Magic Lantern, (June 27 build).  Check out the video below.

No comments:

Post a Comment